Friday, April 30, 2010

Virtual Career Day: Firefighter

Virtual Career Day


1. At what age did you discover that this is the career path for you?
I always knew I wanted to be a fireman, but I really began to pursue this career when I was 18 years old.

2. What are the typical work hours?
A typical work schedule averages out to be a 56-hr work week. Each shift begins at 7:30am and lasts for 24 hours. My normal shift schedule accounts for 10 days each month.

3. Did your job require any formal training?
Yes, there is extensive training that occurs 4 months prior to getting hired. Then, the first year after being hired is considered training and each new employee is classified as a probationary employee until he/she is able to demonstrate the ability to perform the duties.

4. What is a typical day like with your occupation?
There is not a typical day at the fire house. We never know what the day will bring when we get there. We feel honored and proud to do what we do.

5. Was there an event in your life, or person that made a significant contribution for your career path?
My dad is a Firefighter. I grew up watching him and admiring what he did for a living and new that I wanted to someday do the same.

6. What was the highlight of your career?
I’m still very new, so the highlight thus far would have to be the fact that I’ve been given this opportunity.

7. Do you work mostly alone or with a team of people?
Everything we do is with a partner or a team. Safety is the number one priority and nobody does anything alone.

8. If you have any advice for the students to pursue a goal similar to yours, what would you recommend for them to do?
Never give up….. and it’s never too late. It took me many, many years to finally realize my dream and it, so far, has been worth everything I’ve sacrificed along the way to this career.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you think...If you have any comments, suggestions, or tips, please share with us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails